This checklist sets out some of the questions NHS board members should be asking to obtain assurance that the health board is managing waiting times effectively.
Overall, NHS boards should seek assurance that plans to improve waiting times are based on a sound understanding of:
- the health board’s current performance
- current and future demand
- available staffing and other physical capacity
- financial implications
- opportunities to make better use of capacity through re-thinking the ways services are provided and improving efficiency, and
- the key lessons from previous plans and efforts to reduce waiting times.